Healthy Vegetarian Italian Breakfast Egg Muffins are a delicious, quick and easy breakfast filled with your favorite Italian flavors such as melting parmesan cheese, ripe cherry tomatoes and fragrant basil. All while being healthy, vegetarian, keto and gluten-free.
I know – we went over this last week with the Healthy Vegetarian Greek Breakfast Egg Muffins. Breakfast is not my thing, breakfast should be quick, breakfast should still taste awesome… But it’s worth saying again: Breakfast Egg Muffins might just be the perfect breakfast idea.
Just like the Greek variety, these Italian Breakfast Egg Muffins are packed with protein from eggs and cheese (cheese!) and will suit most special diets as they’re low in carbs, vegetarian, gluten-free and just plain delicious (that’s my special diet!). And you can also easily make them lactose-free as well by substituting the milk for plant-based or lactose-free alternatives.
Best eaten slightly heated but delicious when cold as well, they are perfect to keep in the freezer for those mornings when you just can’t be bothered. Or, since they’re just that good, you might wanna keep them easily accessible in the fridge instead.
Grab two in the morning for a filling breakfast, maybe add in an apple or so as well while you’re at it, and then why not bring along a third for an afternoon snack? I know I will!
So, that’s the second variety of my favorite weekday breakfast, the so variable Breakfast Egg Muffins (my weekend favorite is still Minimal Mess Overnight English Muffins). Is there any other version you’d like to see me have a go at? Spanish? Mexican? Asian? Leave a comment below and I’ll see what I can do!
As always, if you make these Italian Breakfast Egg Muffins – I’d love for you to leave a rating and/or a comment below. Or just leave a comment anyway! I love to hear from you! Showing off your creation in social media? Please tag me on Instagram – I love to see your versions.
Healthy Vegetarian Italian Breakfast Egg Muffins
- 12 eggs beaten
- 100 ml cream
- 100 g parmesan cheese finely shredded
- 3 Tbsp basil fresh chopped
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp black pepper
- 175 g cherry tomatoes 24 tomatoes, cut in quarters
- Set oven for 175 C/ 350 F and place 12 muffin liners in a muffin tray.
- Mix together all ingredients except cherry tomatoes.
- Pour in muffin mixture in the muffin liners (fill a little more than halfway) and then add in the tomatoes, about 2 whole cherry tomatoes (cut in quarters) per muffin.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 15 min. After 15 min, or when you see that the muffins have risen noticeably, raise the heat to 225 C / 440 F and bake for another 5 min until a little bit browned.